Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gossip » Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012

Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012 
Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012


Turning up the sex appeal, Carey Mulligan heats up the cover of the January 2012 issue of W magazine.

The 26-year-old actress adorns the publication's front page in a white bra topped with a provocatively pulled-down dress with a tagline reading "Carey Mulligan: Naughty But Nice - The star of Shame sheds her good-girl image."

"My character is the sort of person who would have no trouble being naked in front of her brother," the cover quote beneath the title adds, with the inside pages including a gorgeous Michael Thompson shot spread.

Meanwhile, highlights from Carey's "Shame" focused interview are as follows. For more, be sure to check out W!

On her intense full-frontal nude scene in "Shame":
"I’ve never been comfortable with the idea of nudity. I’ve done only seminude, very innocent things in the past, and I’ve always been of the quite British mind-set that I won’t do gratuitous nudity. When it came to this, it just seemed so obvious that she is the sort of person who would have no trouble being naked in front of any family member, especially not her brother. She’s an extrovert and wants to be seen. More than anything, she wants someone to acknowledge and help her. I thought I had a week before the nude scene to go to the gym, but we shot it on my first day of filming."

On being nude in the off-Broadway play "Through a Glass Darkly":
"No, I was topless in the play. In the script, she was naked, but I dreaded the idea of being naked onstage. When I’ve seen plays with actors who are nude, I’ve always thought, Gosh, that actor’s naked. I wonder how they feel about being naked. Then two minutes later, you fall back into the play. Through a Glass Darkly is not very long, and I didn’t want the audience to stop and think, Oh, she’s naked—I wonder if she feels funny. So we modified it."

On whether she was theatrical as a child:
"Somewhat. I would put my earphones on and sing along to soundtracks of musicals like Les Misérables. I’d act it out in the mirror and cry. When I was 11 or 12, I asked my parents about going to a performing arts school, and they said no. Although I did audition to be a presenter on a TV show called Dig It."

On feeling confident playing a character who didn’t worry about her appearance:
“I didn’t have to worry about what I ate, or how much I drank, and I didn’t have to work out. She was an alcoholic mess. She didn’t have any money to dye her hair. I mean I didn’t become an alcoholic, but I didn’t have to watch myself. It was so much more exciting to play that character that didn’t worry about her appearance in any way. I knew that when I stood up in that bath naked it wasn’t about whether I looked good naked or not. It was about who she was.”

On playing the suicide attempt scene:
“I was sitting there and this fake blood was pumping out of my arms and I was in this completely hopeless state with a kitchen knife next to me. And it was horrible, it was really horrible and I wasn’t expecting it, it was a complete surprise, and I felt awful. It sounds so pretentious, but it just made me feel horrible. I felt devastated and I felt so sad. And I’m fine. I’m great and well adjusted and everything’s cool, but just the idea of being that helpless and that lonely, it was just really sad. I got into the taxi at the end of the day and I couldn’t stop crying.”

Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012 
Carey Mulligan
Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012 
Carey Mulligan
Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012 
Carey Mulligan
Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012 
Carey Mulligan
Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012 
Carey Mulligan
Carey Mulligan Talks Nudity with W Magazine January 2012 
Carey Mulligan



Photo Credit: Michael Thompson for W
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...